Friday, December 25, 2009

Unexpected Vistors

We've been in Taiwan for about two weeks now and have been adjusting well to the time difference, climate difference, population density difference (lots of people) and certain cultural differences - i.e., stores do not open until 10:30am earliest and stay open until 10pm. The time difference took a few days of not so good sleep and now, we are on routine to all together daily insufficient rest.

The climate difference... that's a blessings, we left a snow storm in Michigan followed with a week of freezing temperatures! We landed in the sub-tropics where the normal day is 85 Degrees with an occasional cold front blowing through with mid 50s at night and 70s during the day. Not so bad right. No so bad until you experience all that goes along with the warm year long weather - mosquitoes! There is a reason why the prints ads for the beautiful five-star resorts in Bali include those beautiful white nets around their lush beds centered in the middle of an even more enticing open air villa. They are not just part of the design appeal, there is a real NEED for mosquito nets in the sub-tropics! During Mei Mei's (little sister) shower tonight I found seven mosquito bites.

The night before I heard a buzzing in my ear and alerted Michael to a fly in our room. He assured me it was no fly. Sure enough, the next morning, I found a mosquito bite on Mei Mei's wrist. The next night, I hear the buzzing again, this time my fear of swatting with my hands was quickly won over by my laziness to get out bed and my motherly protection of our little ones. I don't know that I killed it, but it stopped buzzing and I wanted sleep, so slumber I did. In my shower the next morning, there it was a again, not sure if it was the same one, but in daylight, I got it alright.


Tonight the girls came home from a special Christmas performance at their school where they performed in costumes. Somehow between the changing, Mei Mei got seven mosquito bites - three big ones on her back. I am alarmed by this because the girls go to an open air school. I doubt I will be able to dress the girls completely in long sleeves and pants throughout the year in this mild climate. And, the option of switching to a different school would pose the same problem. Most businesses and residences in Taiwan naturally have plenty of open air living spaces.

I am tempted to sleep in the same room with the girls tonight to listen out for those pesky bugs, but exhaustion from a hectic day and just recovering from an illness keeps me in my room. And, I really think that most of the bites came from school. We live on the ninth floor of a new high rise, but the mosquitoes have not been deterred by this fact. They somehow ride up the elevator with us and have a nice party at night. But, I'm hoping that the ones that made it up are satisfied and will leave us alone tonight. The mosquitoes in the house, I can probably handle, as for the ones at school, I may have to have Mei Mei wear as much covered clothing as she can hold out for and start spraying bug spray sooner than planned.

I detest mosquitoes so much that I was ready to start packing when I discovered their presence. This blog has not only been a nice way to journal my time here, but also a nice way to think through my dilemmas. For now, the mosquitoes have not won, and the Chens will continue their time in Taiwan as planned.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lan, it's fun to read your story though I'm so sorry to hear about your battle with the mosquitoes. I thought it would be much better in winter! Three years ago when we visited Taiwan, it was summer and it rained the first week we were there. Both Alex and Julia suffered countless mosquito bites. It was frustrating! The only thing I can say is: the kids will recover. Although it might not be much comfort to you now. Take care! Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sophie! I discovered these patches that I can stick on their clothes to keep the mosquitos away - helps alot!

    ReplyDelete